HANGING / BURNING steve gergley

1. The Hanging Man

I am the hanging man. For two days I’ve hung from this elm. There’s a rope around my ruined neck. Flies walk on my open eyes.

I am the first one you see from the road. He put me here to let you know: the angel of God has come to this place. To revel in sin is to end up like me.

I’ve lived in this town my whole life. Just before I turned sixteen, I met God in a dream. His body was wrapped in shining gold. His face was the face of the father I’d never known.

The next day I walked to the wooden church at the top of the hill. It was Sunday, and the entire town was gathered for mass.

Near the end of the preacher’s sermon my body began to shake. Moments later I found myself at the front of the church, speaking God’s words. To this day I don’t remember what He said. All I remember is the feeling of His voice passing through me, His words flowing from my mouth like cold water in a creek.

For the next twenty years I stood before my neighbors and preached my Father’s good word.

Then, on the morning of my thirty-sixth birthday, His voice suddenly left me. So I tramped through the woods until I found a creek. There I stepped into the clear water, rested my head on the rocks, and began to pray.

For two days I lay in that creek and let my Father’s water wash over me, just as his spirit washed over me on that day twenty years ago. Shivering in the icy water, I heard nothing but the bubbling mumble of the creek, the rasping breath of the wind. But still I stayed, staring up through the trees.

On the morning of the third day a column of fire came down from the sky. Seeing this, I ran back to town and gathered my congregation at my church. Soon an angel of God arrived at our door. His body was wrapped in gold. His face glowed with God’s light. In an instant I recognized Him: He was my Father, the one who had appeared in my dream all those years ago.

Overcome with joy, I opened my arms and let Him inside.


2. The Burning Man

I am the burning man. For hours I’ve sat on this slab of scorched earth that used to be our church. Here I stare at His brilliant light, His glittering gold, His beautiful face.

His face is the face of man, woman, and child united as one spirit under God. He is God’s angel sent down from the sky.

My legs are afire. My fingers are swallowed in flame. But still I stare at Him. His beautiful face fills my heart with light and love and peace and divinity. When I try to turn away, the world begins to bend.

Just before sunset he looks down at me. Staring into His golden eyes, I hear His voice in my head. His voice is the voice of God. With this voice He tells me to stand up and to fetch a rope and to hang the false prophet from a tree.

I try to follow His command, but my body doesn’t move. It roars with pain. It shrivels and shudders within the crackle of the divine flames. Seeing this, God’s angel walks up to me and touches my shoulder. His touch is cool, soothing, the touch of a loving father comforting his frightened child. In an instant the pain of my burning body washes away and I can move again. Rapturous with joy, I follow my Father’s command. I walk to my house on trembling, burning legs and grab a length of rope from my barn. Clutching the rope in my blackened fingers, I stare in awe at the power of God’s will: the rope does not burn.

Now I return to our destroyed church and wrap the rope around the false prophet’s neck. Then I drag him to the edge of town and hang him from a sturdy elm. Moments later God’s angel appears before me and rests His hand on my head. A deafening peal of thunder cleaves the world in two. A wall of gold light swallows my body whole. I fall into God’s arms and everything disappears.


Steve Gergley is a writer and runner based in Warwick, New York. His fiction has appeared or is forthcoming in A-Minor, After the Pause, Barren Magazine, Maudlin House, Pithead Chapel, and others. In addition to writing fiction, he has composed and recorded five albums of original music. His fiction can be found at: https://stevegergleyauthor.wordpress.com/